Friday, May 28, 2010

I HEAR THE TRAIN A COMIN...

Well, the furor over the increase in train traffic and associated peace disturbance caused by train horns, both louder and more frequent continues to heat up.  The move to create quiet zone from the California border to the downtown train trench is picking up a lot of steam.  There is tremendous support from the public and private sector, with one exception, Union Pacific. As stated previously, I am in support of train transportation, as it is the most efficient method available.  The rail industry was the key contributor to the building of this country, especially out west.  As with any business with a conscience, being a good corporate citizen is a dual edge sword.  Recent comments by their 'community relations' person reflects their unwillingness to do their part.  They have increased their profits by being allowed to double stack containers (one atop another) at the expense at continued violation of a property owners right to quiet enjoyment.  Their response...not our problem.  I seen responses in the paper questioning why someone would buy a house near the tracks. I live nearly 2 miles away in a secluded community (Somersett), yet hear trains at 3:30 in the morning as if they are in my backyard.  I feel for my fellow citizens that live considerable closer.  I am not railing against UP.  Just asking the to do the right thing and be part of a solution.

No comments: