Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It Certainly Is a Tragedy

I just received a flier on my door from a 'neighbor' in regards to supporting the relief cause in Haiti.  It certainly is a tragedy.

Picture this scenario: The largest natural disaster in the country's history, thousands dead, 100's of thousands homeless, no running water, no services homes left in ruins, families broken up, crime way up.  As far as public safety and health care, hospitals are boarded up, police leave their job and run off (if not participate in the looting) medical care is scarce and supplies are even scarcer.  

It certainly is a tragedy.

What I have described above and the associated pictures are not of Haiti.  They are of the gulf coast post-Katrina.  After 5 years, much of the lower ward areas look like it just happened yesterday.  This continues to be a national embarrassment that garners little coverage.  We, as a nation, have the attention span of a gnat.

I am not a protectionist, I do not support the GM-sponsored Toyota inquiries.  I am, however, a proud American citizen.  I implore those looking to donate their time and/or money to do so by finishing what, once again, DC has failed miserably at: finish what we started in the gulf states.  our country and fellow citizens deserve better.

My prayers to those suffering in Haiti.  Godspeed in your recovery.

No comments: