Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Silk That is not Smooth

I have always been the health conscience sort for most of my life, after watching my folks die an early death from a combination of poor diet and poor medical care (we had a medicine cabinet that would rival most pharmacies).

I never believed in the marketing sense of dieting. Diet, pure and simple, is what constitutes what you consume, not the latest fad. It is a life-long commitment to treating yourself well.

To that end, I no longer drink milk. I have been drinking soy for probably the last decade and am a big fan of it's taste (plain not the sugary vanilla or chocolate) as well as the myriad of health benefits of plant protein vs. dairy.

Recently, I have been dismayed by the lack of QC by Silk, a maker of soy drinks I have enjoyed for years. Soy milk has a much longer shelf life than dairy milk, especially when not opened right away, typically up to 2 months. My past 2 purchases have gone bad well before the experation date (this morning's had a date of March 28th, 2009 and I just opened it a few days ago!).

Being a fan of the product, I wrote to their consumer affairs department this morning to alert them. Here is the non-answer I got in return:

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Silk®.

We appreciate your interest in our products.

We guarantee the freshness and quality of our products if opened by the freshness date code and used within seven to ten days. However, our products are perishable food items and spoilage may occur if the products are stored in the refrigerator beyond the recommended number of days after the seal has been broken or if there was an interruption in maintaining the proper storage temperature.

Thanks again for contacting the Consumer Affairs Department.

They guarantee their product until there is something wrong with it! If you are not going to stand behind what you peddle, at least tell us we're on our own. I thanked them for alerting me that my electricity may be an issue. I'll check on that as soon as I return from our outhouse on the way back from the chicken coop.

Another shining example of customer 'service' (see previous post)!

No comments: